1. Tell us a little about yourself.....
I am a SAHM/WAHM of one precocious six year old daughter; who is married to a fantastic fella and has one of the sweetest cats you have ever seen (however is not allowed on in the lower level of our home where my studio/warehouse/sewing rooms are located).
2. What made you decide to get into the crafting boutique business?
My aunt is a quilter and one year she gave me a serger and the next an embroidery machine. Then my mother purchased a new sewing machine for me and it blossomed from there. I was making and embroidering items and giving them away. So friends started asking for specific items and wanting to pay for my services and Voila! I started a business in my basement.
3. What do you sell?
Locally by word of mouth, a few shows and online. I have had a lot of success on etsy, (www.mommaoh.etsy.com and am opening my own web site, www.mommaoh.com . I also have blog where I post whatever comes to mind as well as showcasing my items, www.mommaoh.wordpress.com .
5. How do you juggle selling your items and your personal life?
Hmmm, not as well as I would like too. My mother lives close by and she has helped me this year as it has been a building year for my business. My husband does all my book work and is a great support. But I haven't found the magic bullet for balance yet.
6. What is your favorite thing to create?
I love, love, love personalizing lunch bags, pillowcases, apron & chef hats, headbands, key chains....pretty much anything I can hoop I'll try at least once!
7. What are your long term goals for your creations?
Well, I am looking at working with other WAHMs who create, to broaden the lines I offer. If any of your readers have an item they specialize in and wholesale? Please email me!
8. Any advice for someone just starting out in the creating community? Tutorials are a fabulous way to start and most are free or offered at a low cost. Join a group (either virtual or local) that specializes in your art or craft and network, network, network!
I’d like to offer a couple of free items for 3 drawings…a free personalized adult apron, free personalized child’s apron and a set of 3 personalized stretch headbands.