Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What Makes a Fashion Designer?

In my daily movements yesterday, you know checking emails and surfing the 'net, I had a serious thought. Hard to believe, I know, but they happen from time to time.....

What makes a fashion designer? Is it the person who creates patterns? Is it the person who creates the designs for the fabric? Or is it also the people that take all those patterns and put them together with the fabric and CREATE the actual outfits that are worn? The first two are giveaways.... I believe that the third thought is also true...

What I have a hard time "grasping" is that I am included in the third thought.

So, what's your opinion on this thought? Are the people who design the patterns and the fabric the the only fashion designers?

We don't have to all agree on what is the correct answer.......

3 comments:

Generation ABC Clothing Co. said...

Anyone who designs and sews those designs is a Fashion Designer to me. I have a degree in Fashion Design but that doesn't mean that those that do not are not Designers. I think the term is used loosely in the business and it is what you make it. Maybe some designers, like jewelry and bows, etc. are not "Fashion Designers", but they are definately a Designer. JMO....
Amy

Denise said...

Fashion is a multi-level industry...we are all part of it in some means. For example, Hollywood is all about the actors, but without the people behind the scenes for the costumes, props, stunts...those actors wouldn't have the stuff they needed.

I am a designer...whether it is fashion or my life...I am a designer.

Deta

Unknown said...

I never really gave it much thought, I'm not fond of titles and labels. I do know that I always prefer to add my own touch, my own "twist," if you will...and that is my contribution to design.

At the same time, I don't think of myself as particularly creative or original, more like just a bit "different."

It seems to me, though, that creativity abounds in our world and there is so much inspiration at our fingertips on the web. It would be difficult for anyone to claim "design rights" to anything in fashion, these days-- there are too many of us out there!