Friday, March 20, 2009

Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day

This is something near and dear to my family and my heart. My youngest step-son, who I was never able to meet in person but know VERY well through the stories told by his father, brothers and grandparents and through pictures, was born with Cerebral Palsy fourteen years ago. Next week will be the anniversary of his passing at the age of four.

The average prevalence of cerebral palsy is about 1 in 278 children. This first report of the prevalence and characteristics of CP, the most common cause of motor disability in childhood, are from Georgia, Alabama and Wisconsin. Can you even begin to imagine the numbers if there was a national surveillance?

We will wear green again in honor of this day! Will you?

2 comments:

Keri said...

Sorry to hear of his passing. With my son turning four in a couple of weeks, it really touches my heart. I can't possibly thank you enough for helping spread CP awareness. It means a great deal to me and I appreciate you for doing so.

Christie Y Brown said...

Well, he was severe CP, had a feeding tube and ended up with pnuemonia. I don't have any pictures of Evan on my computers, but I will post one soon!